The Department of Biotechnology (DBT), Ministry of Science and Technology, Government of India, New Delhi has sanctioned a financial support of Rs 55 lakhs for three years w.e.f. 2012 under the Star College Scheme. Five science departments viz. Biotechnology, Botany, Chemistry, Physics and Zoology have been selected to strengthen life sciences education and Biotechnology training at undergraduate level. To meet the defined objectives under the sanctioned scheme, the college has planned to organize diverse array of academic and scientific activities including workshops, extension lectures, industrial visits and training, facility for providing free books to meritorious students, specialized training programmes for faculty improvement for optimizing their technical capabilities, standard curricula, standard operating procedures (SOP) for practicals and summer schools etc. Concerned Departments have taken action in strengthening the laboratory infrastructure involving modern equipment and consumables for undergraduate students to upgrade their career in Science Stream.
Main objectives of the scheme:
- To motivate undergraduate students towards creativity and innovation by undertaking project based learning.
- To provide an opportunity to improve scientific aptitude among students viz. instrument handling, analytical thinking, data analysis, research paper writing etc.
- To strengthen the academic and physical infrastructure for achieving excellence in teaching and training.
- To promote networking and exposure to students by visiting other institutions and other laboratories.
- To conduct specialized training programmes for faculty improvement for optimizing technical capabilities.
- To enhance instrumentation facilities by procuring new equipment and upgrading of existing facilities by designing Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) for practicals.
- To provide better library facility to students and teachers for updated knowledge.
Doaba College, Vidyalay Marg
URL – www.doabacollege.net